Don’t miss out on the most HAPPENING wedding event in the country – NEXT MONTH, GLASGOW, FUN, WEDDING STUFF, LOOK NO FURTHER, WE GOT THE BEST TEAM, ONE ROOF, THE LIGHTHOUSE, THURSDAY JULY 6TH, FUN, PLAN YOUR WEDDING, CREAM OF THE CROP, + GOODIES, DANCING, 5-8PM, GLASGOW, TEAMTWC, FOREVERRRRRRR, BE THERE. tickets here >>>> http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2830367
Little Botanica are guest posting today…. and it’s a perfect hen party idea guyzzzzz….
Here at Little Botanica we are always over the moon to host a Flower Crown Hen Party for one of our beautiful brides-to-be at our railway arch workshop in Tradeston.
Bridesmaid Gillian contacted us back in January to arrange a flower related Hen Party for flower loving Bride-to-Be Gemma. It was decided that flower crowns were the perfect choice, something that all of the Hens could wear as their party continued on to dinner in Glasgow’s west end (and hopefully a lot of good old silly dancing too!!).
As the hen party date neared and the Little Botanica team grew excited, we decided upon beautiful bright colours for the girls and a selection of special white flowers exclusively for Gemma.
On the party day we welcomed 15 lovely hens into our light filled workshop! The afternoon started with a demonstartion of wiring techniques and construction methods for crowns. Then, with a glass of fizz in hand and a glamorous Little B pinny on, the ladies got stuck in. Guided by Kim, Hayley, Jenni and Elaina the hens made quick work of selecting their blooms from an array of colourful favourites from the buckets, and got on to wiring.
Now, as we are really very good expert florists, we know that wiring is neither the easiest nor the most exciting task! So we had a few ‘here’s some we made earlier’ trays of ready-wired blooms to help the the ladies make their crowns even more spectacular!
We were amazed at the incredible variation of crowns the ladies made, no two looked alike. It was a top job by this wonderful creative bunch!
Once complete, the girls all had the opportunity to carefully position their head gear and step in to our mini photo studio, complete with backdrop and perfectly flattering lighting. With our very own professional photographer, Jenni on hand, she collected some smashing shots of the afternoon so that the ladies could keep clear memories of how fabulous they looked with their crowns!
Gemma’s chat :
‘My bridesmaids had kept me in the dark with all things related to me hen party reassuring me that it was ‘one less thing I had to worry about’ in the lead up to the wedding so you can imagine my confusion and mild panic when a taxi dropped us off outside a load of industrial units in Tradeston for our activity! We were buzzed in through a private gate and what awaited us around the corner could not have been any more perfect.
Hayley from Little Botanica, who I know having met her to discuss our wedding flowers (which LB are doing) and from nipping along to any pop up shops they have, was waiting to greet me with a massive smile beside a beautiful antique trolley with pre filled prosecco glasses and hunky bar man. His sole job that day was to keep our glasses full for the duration and what a wonderful job he did!
After getting over the initial excitement of seeing all of my hens, having a glass of prosecco, taking pictures of the beautiful personalised hand painted board and munching the nibbles LB had kindly put out it was time to get on with the task at hand, FLOWER CROWNS!
LB had set each of us 15 over excited hens a station equipped with Little Botanica apron, scissors, flower tape and wire. We were given a demonstration on how best to prepare the flowers (which looks much easier than it actually is and involves wiring, taping and cutting each individual flower before attaching then to your crown!) by the LB ladies and then left to choose whatever flowers we wanted from their vast and interesting collection. Peonies, Alium, sweet peas, thistles, all colours of roses, gypsophila and eucalyptus to name a few. There was also a whole jug of white flowers especially set aside especially for me!
After some 10 minutes of us preparing our own flowers the LB ladies brought out lots of trays of pre prepared flowers for us to use, cue much cheering. They make it look so easy! They were also on hand to help us attach our flowers to the crown as and when we needed, which was a lot.
What we ended up with were 15 very unique and each equally beautiful flower crowns that not only looked so pretty it was also something we could wear all together as a group. LB had set up a little photo booth space with the perfect lighting for selfies! Who needs snap chat filters!
The LB staff could not have done any more and I would like to take the opportunity say thank you to my bridesmaids Hannah, Gillian, Suzanne and Susan for organising the perfect activity.
After leaving LB we walked down to the Laurieston to carry on our day, you can imagine the expressions on the wee mens faces when 15 hens with flower crowns on walked in!
I am so excited to see my wedding florals now and will appreciate much more the effort that goes into the arrangements from all of the staff at LB. Thank you Hayley, Kim, Jenni and Elaina. I will see you at a workshop soon.‘
Thanks Little Botanica! If this looks up your pre-wedding party street… Head on over to the guys Profile in the Directory for contact details + get in touch with them for more info!
New skillzzzz and some super cute head gear for that nights fun times henzzzzzz!
GUEST POST > > > Hello Rachel Paper Arrow Press! Take it awa’ ..
I’ve lost count of the number of times in the 5ish years since I started Paper Arrow Press and was plunged into the wonderful world of weddings that I’ve seen this venue or that dress and thought ‘if I were getting married again…’. These days anything goes when you get married. There are so many brilliant businesses offering alternative options for your wedding. Don’t believe me? Just look at the The Wedding Collective DIRECTORY, it is overflowing with creativity and originality.
On the flip side I also find myself thinking I’ve had a lucky escape from the pressure to plan the alternative wedding of my dreams – I’m not sure it would have gone down all that well with my tribe of fairly traditional relatives. And maybe I’m not really brave enough to wear an emerald green wedding dress anyway, planning the simple wedding we had was stressful enough…
So, if you want to dodge the meringue but are getting the fear about telling your mum… I’ve had a think about some sneaky, non-scary ways to let your inner wedding rebel rip without falling out with your great auntie Pam.
10 non-scary ways to rebel on your wedding day:
- Rewrite traditions – One of the trickier things about a wedding is that it can all feel a little – ummm – not very feminist, so take a long hard look at your vows, maybe don’t get ‘given away’ and/or get the women to give speeches too.
- Rebel playlist – Music is the medium for all the best rebels to express themselves – so if a full evening of Father John Misty is your dream wedding soundtrack, knock yourself out, then break up the night with a few sets that will get different guests up on the dance floor for a few songs.
- Not that bothered about champagne? Serve gin instead! Obviously…
- Stay flexible – Adding accessories which you can swap in or take off through the day (hello leather jacket!) is a great non-scary way to rebel. If you’re not feeling brave just take it off, (but who’s not going to feel brave in a wedding dress and biker jacket ensemble?!)
- Location location – I think this is a tricky one. I am crazy for those urban warehouse spaces with their blank canvas potential but it can be hard to imagine your family members congregated in one. Consider opting for a multi-location wedding with the dream warehouse for your reception preceded by a more traditional ceremony or search for a blank canvas in a more low key venue and add your own unusual touches.
PRO TIP: Super wedding stylist Toria at Arrow and Twine suggests doing away with the traditional table plan on an easel in favour of a hanging installation (see her website for more ideas)
- Keep a sense of humour – Tiny touches of comedy can go along way to take the edge of the old fashioned vibes of a wedding. Get a bit cheeky with your table names. See the list I wrote here) for inspiration 😉
- Relaxed refreshments – Serve food on large sharing platters for your guests to pass around if a three course meal is just too old fashioned for you!
- Colour flash – Gone are the days of the pastel pink wedding, any colour goes. If the 13 year old disco queen in you is too nervous to go all out with an orange sequin gown – do it with tiny details; bold coloured shoes and dark nails, or HUGE jewellery. Because why the F not? And if your the type of guy who wants to be himself on his big day and his ‘self’ usually jazzes right up or doesn’t fancy feeling like an inverted commas Groom – then go wild! Colour, pattern, suits, ties, shoes .. Hey, it’s your day too right? (Check out our GROOM STYLE post for some inspo)
PRO TIP: Lovely Rosie of Brolly Bucket suggests taking it a step further hiring bright brollies that colour clash with your shoes or socks!
- Don’t take the veil – If wearing a piece of net on your head is not for you there are so many other options and if you don’t want to put anything on your head, well…don’t! 😉
- Ch ch changes – If you know your family is desperate to see you float down the aisle in a traditional dress choose a second one and change for the evening. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just one you want to party in!
GO ON. REBEL (even a wee bit)
THANKS RACHEL!! top tips for some subtle rebellion. we love it!
About the AUTHOR:
Paper Arrow Press design modern, personalised and bespoke wedding invitations and stationery for style-conscious couples. From our Edinburgh studio, we work closely with couples to create wedding stationery as unique and stylish as they are. We design everything from invitations to on-the-day stationery and thank you cards, specialising in bold typography and striking designs that grooms as well as brides love.
www.paperarrowpress.co.uk // https://www.facebook.com/PaperArrowPress/ // https://www.instagram.com/paperarrowpress/
Images by LISA DEVINE + THE CURRIES mwah mwah mwah xx
I’m feeling cool. Cool + calm + drinking clear icelandic water with breezy cool tipped eyes and nails + wednesday adams hair in reverse.
When you click on your Pinterest and see that one week you pinned all the creamiest crisp tones with a hint of holiday feels in black and cream and grey thats warm. That.
Join the #teamTWC pin party HERE + get the credits for all those coolcalm images above while your there.